Friday, June 27, 2008

Chipotle

Chipotle finally has opened in Waco, Texas. For those who have never heard of Chipotle, it is a Mexican grille that serves all-natural foods. You can eat burritos, burrito bowls or tacos with choices of either chicken, beef, pork or steak. You can add toppings of hot sauce, cheese, beans, etc. It is the most amazing place ever. Today, which is Friday June 27th, is the Grand Opening for Chipotle in Waco. I have to say that I just experienced the power of word-of-mouth advertising. How? Here is my story.

This past Tuesday, my boyfriend, Josh, and I decided to drive by Chipotle to see the progress. We were shocked to see the advertisement on the outside of the Chipotle building. It said “Free Burrito 100% on Wednesday June 25th.” That was only two days before the GRAND opening! We immediately told everyone we know in Waco about the free deal. Chipotle opened that day from 11 am to 7 pm. Josh and I planned to be there as soon as they open. Once we got there, there was a long line across the front of Chipotle to the side, and then to the back of the building. It was hot outside, but it was worth a free burrito. This is where the word of mouth started. Josh has been to every single Chipotle in the metropolitan cities in Texas. He loves Chipotle. There was an older couple in front of us in the line, and they have never eaten at Chipotle before. We told them all about our experience and how to order the food. They were impressed, and they told their friends about it. I have seen people making calls on their cell phones to convince their friends to come by Chipotle to taste the food!

Once it was our turn to order our food, I expected to get a free burrito, and then pay for the rest of my order. It didn’t happen. I got a burrito, chips & salsa, and a drink for FREE. It turned out that everyone who came to Chipotle got their meal for free. I thought that was a genius idea. This is a perfect opportunity for the customers to create a word-of-mouth advertising campaign. The workers there passed out the ads that said on the grand opening, there will be a drawing from the customers the first day in order to choose someone to get a free burrito per week for a whole year! That and the word of mouth created a buzz for the Grand Opening.

Of course, Josh and I came by today for the Grand Opening. I expected to see a long line at Chipotle, and I was right! When we were waiting in the line, we were given a free pen that has “Chipotle” on it and a free stress ball that is shaped like a burrito covered in aluminum foil. We talked to the marketing consultant about Chipotle. She mentioned if the sales go well they might open a second location near Baylor University. I got really excited, and it makes sense to me. Baylor students are one of the biggest target markets in Waco, Texas. Waco is not that big of a city. It is a small city with the population of 121,496 (in 2006). I expect that Chipotle will be busy for a while! I had the pleasure to be part of this whole experience.

If there is Chipotle near by and you have never eaten there before, then you have to try it!

-Jessica

No comments: