Wednesday, June 11, 2008


Marketing is everywhere. One of the lessons that I am learning as an intern is that everyone has a brand. I thought that meant as a product. I was confused because I surely don’t have a product yet! We are branded as a brother/sister to the siblings, daughter/son to the parents, or as a co-worker at the job. Interesting!

I am currently an intern at The Marketing Spot, Inc., and it is a wonderful experience. Being an intern opens my eye further into the marketing world. My goal is to fully learn what marketing is before I graduate from Baylor University.

Jay Ehret, from The Marketing Spot, Inc. taught me some important lessons. First, he recommended that i read two books, Positioning: The Battle for Your Mind by Al Ries and Jack Trout and MicroBranding by T. Scott Gross. I highly recommend these two books. They are deep into the meaning of what marketing is. Positioning: The Battle for Your Mind taught me that you have to be in the customers’ mind first or else you will not succeed. That is true because it is easy to remember what comes in your mind first. We don't think about or dwell on what comes second to mind--we think about what comes first to mind. One famous example is Coca-Cola; it is the leading soft-drink because it came first in the customers’ minds. MicroBranding is a brilliant book. It is about how to microbrand your product with the strategies of public relation and networking.

Second, Mr. Ehret emphasized that it is important to network. It is good to network with people because it helps to build more connections. It will be useful for new jobs! One of the best websites to use for networking is Linkedin.com; it is similar to facebook.com, but it is for business purposes. It helps a person to find professional opportunities, meet people with connections for jobs, and keep in touch with friends/colleagues. It is easy and free to use! Facebook can be use for the same purpose.

I am looking forward to seeing what else I will learn as an intern!

-Jessica

5 comments:

Jay Ehret said...

Congratulations on your new blog, Jessica! You are a talented young lady and we are blessed to have you here at The Marketing Spot.

I love the title of your blog and look forward to your thoughts on what you learn.

Mike said...

Read your blog from Jay's Tweet today. I'm a newbie to social networking. Figured out Twitter pretty quickly. Still trying to figure out LinkedIn. What are some LinkedIn best practices?

Jessica Wicker said...

Thank you for your comment! I am currently reading an e-book called "I'm on LinkedIn Now What?" by Jason Alba. It is very helpful because it explains what LinkedIn is and what is the best way to use it.

Unknown said...

Congrats on your new blog! The marketing world is an exciting place to be right now. I'm sure you'll like it.

DJ from OnlineMarketerBlog.com

Jessica Wicker said...

Thank you DJ! I am looking forward to seeing what I will learn in the marketing world.