Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Image


Your image should accurately reflect who you are. Image has always been one of the important things to keep up in marketing. I remember learning this saying as a kid, “Do not judge a book by its cover.” It is good not to judge others by their looks, but it also can be a good thing to do so. What I am referring to is a first impression of a brand. If your first impression of someone or a brand is negative, then chances are you will not waste your time with that person or product. I definitely want to make sure that I have a good image, so I can make good impressions on others!

My whole point comes from Facebook.com and LinkedIn.com. I have been a member of Facebook for 3 years, and it was interesting to see it grow through the years. I just recently joined LinkedIn. There has been controversy about whether an internet profile can damage a future career. It is true that it can be damaging, but it can also be helpful because a future employer will look up anyone’s name on the internet. That’s where Facebook and LinkedIn come in. Future employers will look at your profile and make their judgment. It could be either a good or bad first impression.

Jay Ehret recommended for me to read two e-books, I’m on Facebook Now What? by Jason Alba and Jesse Stay and I’m on LinkedIn Now What? by Jason Alba. I highly recommend these e-books whether you are a new member of either application or not. It explains how the features work, how to keep it professional, and the rules of each application. I am new to LinkedIn, and I admit that I was confused about how to use it. I realized, after reading these two e-books, that both Facebook and LinkedIn are different. It is really helpful to understand the basics of both applications better. It also helps you to create your profile to look better, so you can look like that you know what you are doing.

If you are not a member of either Facebook or LinkedIn, I recommend that you join one! It is fun and easy to use. It is also important to network!

-Jessica

No comments: