Monday, July 28, 2008

Facebook Addiction


Facebook is one of the biggest sensations these days. It is social network that connects people with friends and others who work, study and live around them. People have their own profile page where their Facebook friends can learn about them and communicate with them.

I have been a member of Facebook for almost 4 years. I am addicted to Facebook, and I love it. Why? I have found so many of my long-lost friends through this addictive network, and it allows me to keep in touch with my friends across the nation and world-wide. It is mind boggling to see how much Facebook has changed and grown so quickly. It was originally for college students only, but now it is for all ages.

During one of my semesters at Baylor University, someone created a survey about the Facebook addiction for the class. Two of the questions were:

  • How many times a day do you check your Facebook account?
  • How long during each session?

Most people answered at least 10 times and 5-10 hours total per day. That is some 70 times and 35-70 hours per week! I had to admit that I am one of those people.

Why is it so addicting? My guess would be the usefulness of it. You can do so many things on it. People can download their pictures, videos, music, and notes. They can market their business and sell things that they want to sell. If there is a special event or a party, members can create and send invitations online. If they need to talk to someone, they can type in the wall posts, private messages, and online.

The point is: Facebook is becoming more useful for everyone in a personal life and a business life. The sky is the limit for good marketing applications using Facebook.

However, if you are not a member yet, BE AWARE OF THE ADDICTION!

No comments: