Thursday, August 21, 2008

Rewarding Experience

The time has gone by really fast! I just finished my internship with The Marketing Spot, and it was a rewarding experience. It really opened my eyes to see the marketing perspective of businesses. Ever since my internship began, I see everything as a potential marketing experience (for examples, see my chipotle and flea market blog).

I can see how word-of-mouth advertising is important. I have been working at Pier 1 Imports for a year; it helps to have a job as a college student! My co-workers and I had to go to a meeting one night to talk about the customer experience. It was interesting to hear the fact that the customers are 7 times more likely to talk about a bad experience than a good experience.

That fact is so true. I went to a pharmacy on Valley Mills recently. I could have gone to a closer pharmacy in this chain, but I liked this one because it looks better inside. I went to print digital pictures from my camera, and I needed help with printing. However, a manager was extremely rude to me. I simply asked her if the photo machine was working, but she would not help me or anything. Of course, I got upset and told my friends about it. I did not go back to that store until a few months later. I figured that she would not be there anymore. I was dead wrong. She was there and SO RUDE to me again. Unbelievable! I did not know what I did wrong, but all I did was ask her a question. Of course, I made a comment to her that I am a customer and that she does not need to be rude. I do not plan to patronize that store again.

No one wants to have a bad experience. If they hear a negative report from someone, surely they would not go to that particular business. If you want to read more about it, read Managing the Customer Experience by Shaun Smith and Joe Wheeler.

I want to thank Jay Ehret for a great experience in my internship. I look forward to my steps ahead in the business world.

1 comment:

Jay Ehret said...

Jessica,
Thank you for your diligent work this summer. You helped us complete some projects that we would not have completed without you. The Marketing Spot definitely got the better end of this deal. You are an inspiration and your future employer will be lucky to have you!

Have fun your final year at Baylor!